Doctor working in laboratory


Research programmes

The PhD programme at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences lasts for three years and includes an independent research project, course work, teaching or other types of science communication, the possibility for a stay at a foreign research institution, and a thesis.

PhD students are registered at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at the University of Copenhagen, but their day-to-day work may be at Rigshospitalet.  

To apply for enrolment on the PhD programme at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, you must hold a master’s degree in medical sciences or other relevant degree equivalent to a Danish master’s programme lasting five years. 

This page will give you the guidance and information you need to get started.

​How to get started

Before you apply for enrolment at the Graduate School of Health and Medical Science you have to do a lot of work. Before you apply for enrolment you must find:

  • A relevant project
  • Supervisors who will agree to guide you through the PhD
  • A workplace where you can carry out your project
  • A way to finance your studies

Rigshospitalet cannot help you with this – it is your own responsibility. You can start by contacting the department and a supervisor at the department/place of work where you wish to study.

As soon as you have completed the preliminary work above, you can apply for enrolment as a PhD student. You should do this via the University of Copenhagen website

Past PhD projects

Browse through PhD projects completed in recent years at Rigshospitalet as inspiration for your topic and supervisor. 
Past PhD proje​cts

PhD coordinators

Rigshospitalet is organised into centres, each of which has a PhD coordinator. A PhD coordinator will be able to help you with any questions about a PhD project at the relevant centre. 

The List of PhD ​Coordinators applies for all hospitals in the Capital Region of Denmark. Therefore you should find the coordinator responsible for the department at Rigshospitalet at which you want to write your PhD project. 

List of Departments and their Specialities

Funding your PhD

To apply for a PhD you must have a scholarship, a large grant or other financial resources to cover your PhD expenses. 

It is possible to apply for research funding from Rigshospitalet, either via Rigshospitalet’s own research pool, or via research funds from the department itself. However, this is not possible until you have established contact with a PhD supervisor at Rigshospitalet. 

Read more about applying for external research funding or faculty scholarships

Responsible editor