Research areas of the Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine
- Epilepsy: Controlled study of the effect of treatment with Diacomit and
Ketocal (ketogenic diet).
- Follow-up study of epilepsy-surgical treatment of Danish children. The SUDEP
(sudden death in epilepsy) national incidence study.
- Neuro-muscular diseases: genetic classification of congenital
Chronic lung diseases in children and young people
DBLC and CF
- CF studies concerning biofilm such as pharmacokinetic studies concerning
varying absorption of different antibiotics among different patients.
- Early diagnosis of structural lung damage, focused on refined and
standardised lung CT scans, as well as functional loss, using a promising and
very sensitive lung function method called the Multiple Breath Washout.
- PCD scintigraphic method and measurements of NO in the nose, as
supplementary diagnostic tests, and mapping of underlying mutations for the PCD
disease. Finally, several of the studies mentioned for CF also include PCD
Liver transplantation in childhood: complications, side effects of immune
suppression, growth and development. (In corporation with the Transplantation
Autoimmune hepatitis; outcome, growth and development and
Paracetamol poisoning (acetaminophen poisoning) during childhood and
adolescence, implication and outcome, a national database. (in corporation with
the Pediatric department Hillerød hospital).
Liver disease in Cystic fibrosis, diagnosis and nutrition. (in corporation
with the Danish Cystic Fibrosis Center Rigshospitalet).
Treatment of Pediatric acute liver failure with Plasmapheresis. (in
corporation with the Nephrology Clinic Rigshospitalet).
Treatment of moderate malnutrition in children (in corporation with Institute
of Nutrition, Sport and Exercise, University of Copenhagen).
Haematology and oncology
- Aetiology of leukaemia in children
- Individualised treatment based on pharmacogenetics, pharma kinetics and
monitoring of minimal residual pharma kinetics
- Late complications of cancer treatment
The research and analysis repertoire in particular
- Analysis (LC-MS) for cytostatica and cytostatica metabolites in blood, urine
- Purification and PCR amplification of mRNA and DNA
- Genotyping (single nucleotide polymorphisms) by means of TaqMan and
- Cell sorting (FACS)
- DNA index analyses
Infection paediatrics and international paediatrics
- The infection paediatric research focuses on respiratory tract infections in
children, infections in immune-supprimed and diseases in foreign adoptive
- The department participates in planning research and development projects on
child health in low-income countries, such as Vietnam, Tanzania, Zanzibar and
Bone marrow transplants (the TXID function)
- Immunology in allogenic stem-cell transplant.
- Lung, liver, intestinal diseases in connection with allogenic stem-cell
- Psycho-social conditions in connection with allogenic stem-cell
- The impact of environmental toxins on children’s immune function.
- Joint Nordic research cooperation on JIA.
- International research cooperation in the Pediatric Rheumatology
International Trials Organisation (PRINTO).
- Multinational research cooperation in New York about Systemic Lupus
Erythematosous (SLE) derived from the child’s rheumatologic unit.
- Research cooperation with children’s hospital in Ho Chi Minh concerning SLE
derived from Rigshospitalet. The department is active in research in small,
international expert work groups, such as JDM and uveit.
For further information about the
research or research areas see the publications
of the department or contact one of the researchers.