He has conducted several studies at Uppsala University Hospital on Energy expenditure and substrate utilisation in surgical patients. Furthermore, he has examined the utility of indirect caloriemetry and carried out studies on postoperative and intensive care patients, gas exchange, thermal balance and 3- methyl histidine.
His main research fields include:
- Pain in children, regional
- Topical anaesthesia in children
- Neurotoxicity of anaesthetic agents in the developing brain, per- and postoperative oxygen therapy
- Depth of anaesthesia monitoring,
- Monitoring of the circulating blood volume in intensive care.
In 2012 Steen Henneberg reciewed the DASAIM's Pain Price within acute/chronic pain.