Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS) Expert Centre under the European Association of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS)
Residency Programme in Cardiothoracic Surgery
The Integrated Cardiothoracic Surgical Residency Programme at Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen is a five-year curriculum divided into a comprehensive clinical part and a part comprised of compulsory course work. Clinical surgical rotations are adult and paediatric cardiovascular surgery at Rigshospitalet and one-year adult cardiac surgery at Gentofte University Hospital.
Adult and paediatric thoracic surgery at Rigshospitalet
Other clinical rotations are:
- Thoracic anesthesiology and intensive care at Rigshospitalet.
- Cardiology (interventional and general) at Rigshospitalet.
- Pulmonology at Bispebjerg University Hospital.
Compulsory clinical courses include:
- Cardiopulmonary Bypass
- Cardiothoracic Radiology Imaging
- Clinical Cardiothoracic Oncology
- Surgical Training in Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Surgical Training in General Surgery
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS)
- Definitive Surgery in Trauma Care (DSTC)
- Research Training
The programme accepts one candidate each year following an introductiory internship in cardiothoracic surgery.
Clinical surgical courses
Clinical cardiothoracic surgical course for residents in other surgical specialties.
PhD students at the Graduate School of Health Sciences at the University of Copenhagen can pursue a research career in the field of cardiothoracic surgery at the department. Currently four PhD students are working with the department.