We receive adult as well as paediatric patients from all over Denmark and Scandinavia. The Department is the largest highly specialized unit for surgical treatment of the entire spectrum of diseases in the chest of both adult and paediatric patients in Denmark. Furthermore we provide a full heart and lung transplant programme, residency programmes, and research fellowships at all levels.
The department is part of the Centre for Cardiac, Vascular, Pulmonary and Infectious Diseases at Copenhagen University Hospital, Rigshospitalet, which also includes the departments of Cardiology, Thoracic Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Infectious Diseases and Vascular Surgery.
More about The Centre for Cardiac, Vascular, Pulmonary and Infectious Diseases
Research at the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery
The department consists of
- The Cardiovascular Unit at Rigshospitalet
- The Thoracic Unit at Rigshospitalet
- The Paediatric Cardiothoracic Unit at Rigshospitalet
The Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery has a long tradition of state-of-the art open as well as minimally invasive highly specialised and individualised surgical treatment for cardiothoracic diseases.
The treatment is based on the implementation of the newest research results from both within the department and from centres around the world. Both clinical research and teaching are an integrated part of clinical practise at the department.
Us in numbers
- 1 Professor, cardiovascular surgery
- 5 Consultants, cardiovascular surgery
- 2 Consultants, paediatric cardiovascular surgery
- 8 Consultants, thoracic surgery
- 7 Senior registrars
- 6 Registrars
- 11 Perfusionists
- 155 Nurses
- Approx. 1,400 adult cardiovascular procedures
- Approx. 1,100 adult thoracic procedures
- Approx. 180 paediatric cardiovascular procedures
- Approx. 45 paediatric thoracic procedures'
- Approx. 3,100 outpatient consultations
We work in
- 7 operating theatres daily at Rigshospitalet
- 3 operating theatres daily at Gentofte University Hospital
- 1 endoscopic suite daily at Rigshospitalet
- 2 wards with 26+28 beds at Rigshospitalet
- 1 ward with 20 beds at Gentofte University Hospital
- 1 outpatient department at Rigshospitalet
- 1 outpatient department at Gentofte University Hospital