The hospital opened in 1757 and was located in Bredgade in the building where the Museum of Art and Design is today.
In 1910 the hospital was handed over to the state and moved to its current location. It also changed its name to Rigshospitalet, as from this date the hospital was to be open to all citizens of the Danish Realm.
The modern Rigshospital, with its tall grey buildings, is from the 1960s and today it is part of the Capital Region of Denmark.
Rigshospitalet merged with Glostrup Hospital with effect from 1st January 2015.